13-Day ~ Canada New England Knitting Cruise (Oct 2013)
Holland America Line
October 5, 2013
October 18, 2013
Canada New England Knitting Cruise (Oct 2013) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
13-Day Canada & New England Knitting Cruise w/ Chris Bylsma & Edie Eckman
Cruise New England & Maritime Canada with Chris Bylsma and Edie Eckman on a voyage of discovery to North America and Canada's most scenic, historic and culturally rich seaports. Among the main highlights on this cruise you will trace the path of American independence; eat fresh New England lobster; watch dyeing demonstrations, visit an angora goat farm in Saguenay where you'll see raw wool processed from goat to sweater, and shop for yarn at some of the best shops in the region.
This directional cruise from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale visits several ports in Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Maine and South Carolina enjoy the crispness of Fall while sampling the delights of French Canada, and New England. There are many compelling reasons we invite you to join us as we celebrate the stunning beauty of autumn onboard Holland America's ms Maasdam.
This itinerary offers a good balance of interesting ports and relaxing days at sea. It starts in historical French Canada visiting nine fabulous ports of call ending with three glorious days at sea. This allows for an enriching 18 class-hour program with Chris Bylsma and Edie Eckman teaching such classes as Stashology 201, Connect the Shapes, The Joy of Finishing (no, Really), Eight Empowering Edges, Textured Treats, Steeks to the Rescue, Day with a Designer and Crochet Stitch Workshop among others.
2013 Canada & New England Knitting Cruise Highlights
- Montreal & Quebec - Visit the historical city center of Montreal & Quebec City where you will enjoy the heritage, history and architecture of this region dating back more than 400 years. For those who have never visited this is as close to being in Europe as you can get in North America and it is wonderful.
- Le Chevrier du Nord (Saguenay) - Join the group for a visit to a local angora goat farm. Le Chevrier du Nord is a family farm that breeds angora goats and creates clothing made from mohair. Come and appreciate the designer creations first hand and learn about the artisans' work by visiting the museum
- Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) - Visit Cavendish where you will discover the house that inspired Canada's best-loved family musical, Anne of Green Gables. Set in the beautiful pastoral farmlands in the Prince Edward National Park.
- Moonsnail Soapworks - Take a short workshop while visiting Prince Edward Island. Just steps from the ship enjoy taking a private workshop where you can learn to make your owner personal oil blends, bath slats and salt body polish using totally natural ingredients that are good for body and soul.
- Fleece Artist (Halifax) - While in Halifax you will have the opportunity to visit the Fleece Artist & Handmaiden dye studio for hand-dyeing demonstrations and to learn more about how they source their luxurious fiber which includes silks, wools, kid mohairs, alpacas, seaweed and angora among others.
- String Theory (Maine) - String Theory will be setting up a fabulous yarn market just steps away from where the cruise line disembarks passengers in Bar Harbor at the Bar Harbor Inn. Karen Grover & Tannis Williams will be sharing their lovely hand-painted yarns with our group. These two ladies are passionate knitters who hand dye this lovely yarn in their homes on the coast of Maine. Each dye lot is unique, and each skein holds secrets that are revealed as the fiber is knit. Their yarn is vibrant and alive with inspiration drawn from everything that encompasses the extraordinary coastline of Maine.
- Knit K - Visit Knit K in Charleston, South Carolina and experience true southern hospitality. Gay Murrill has been helping Charleston embrace knitting for over 7 years with a lovely selection of yarn, a friendly staff and fun social get-togethers. Enjoy meeting a few local knitters and visiting downtown Charleston where you will enjoy seeing its its historical southern style architecture and learning about its rich heritage.
Port: Fort Lauderdale, FL
A Stitcher's Haven is the closest yarn store to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise port and is open 7 days a week.Â
The store has a great selection and is worth a visit if you have any last minute items you need before your cruise.Â Make sure you mention Craft Cruises for your special discount.
Port: Fort Lauderdale, FL
If you are taking a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and need a yarn fix this is the store to visit.Â Great Balls of Yarn is located Boca Raton about 20 miles north of the cruise port.Â You will love their tantalizing selection of interesting, unusual and high quality fibers. At Great Balls of YARN, they carry the industry's big guns like Trendsetter, Berroco, Gedifra, NORO, and Debbie Bliss as well as specialty hand-dyes from Shaefer, Prism, Malabrigo, Colinette and Koigu.