12-Day ~ Baltic Knitting Cruise (Aug 2012)
Holland America Line
August 17, 2012
August 29, 2012
Baltic Knitting Cruise (Aug 2012) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
The Baltic is truly the ultimate destination for knitters. Every port is a treasure chest of new discoveries. This cruise visits the best ports in Northern Europe where you'll meet local knitters, designers and artisans while being inspired by the onboard knitting instruction of one of the world's leading lace experts, Galina Khmeleva. Craft Cruises is honored to welcome Galina onboard her first knitting cruise and her first trip to her home city of St. Petersburg with a group of knitters. Galina grew up in post-WWII Leningrad and has gained much respect as one of the world's leading experts and historians on Orenburg knitted lace.
The onboard knitting program will be enriching and educational as Galina teaches knitting techniques known to this region. In addition, Galina will also give insight into the culture of the Russian people and intends to share her knowledge on Russian food, markets and traditional cooking. Learn culinary tips and about such popular local favorites as borscht, pirozhki and blini. Join Craft Cruises on this knitting cruise and be dazzled by Galina Khmeleva's knowledge, enthusiasm and passion.
This region will delight and inspire knitters of all levels because of its rich knitting culture. Denmark, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Finland and Estonia are all well known for rich having rich knitting traditions. Estonia, in particular, is often a favorite destination and is well known for its Estonian Folk Art and Craft Union, Eesti kasitoo, For years, Craft Cruises has been bringing groups of knitters on knitting cruises to Estonia to visit the shops of this non-profit organization. The Estonian Folk Art and Craft Union brings together organizations and individual craftsmen and craftswomen in an effort to preserve and develop traditional Estonian hand crafts to not only keep this part of their culture alive but also to serve as a source of income and subsistence for Estonian craftspeople throughout the country.
- In Copenhagen visit Sommerfuglen, the largest yarn store in the Denmark, where Bente Geil, an upcoming Danish designer will give a trunk show.
- Sommerfuglen will offer special discounts and will feature kits and samples by top Danish designers Vivian Hoxbro & Hanne Falkenberg.
- Take the train into Berlin for an independent yarn crawl.
- Explore St. Petersburg with Galina Khmeleva who will bring this gorgeous city with its rich history to life.
- In Helsinki visit Menita, the largest yarn store in Finland.
- Shop for 100% Finnsheep Wool dyed naturally with plants and mushrooms from Leena Riihivilla's open air stand at the waterfront market. Leena's mitten kits are wonderful!
- In Estonia experience the coolest "Old Town" in modern Europe. Tallinn retains its medieval character while featuring some of the best design studio and art galleries in Europe.
- Shop for locally produced knit-wear and yarn at the Estonian handwork union craft guild stores.
- Visit Nynashamn Sweden and shop at the summer craft fairs featuring local hand-work. Enjoy a summer smorgasbord with locally sourced ingredients.