11-Day ~ Iberian Discovery Knitting Cruise (May 2013)
Holland America Line
May 10, 2013
May 21, 2013
Iberian Discovery Knitting Cruise (May 2013) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
11-Day Iberian Discovery Knitting Cruise w/ Stephen West & Ragga Eiriksdóttir
Join popular knit-wear designer Stephen West and the Queen of Icelandic Knitting Ragga Eiriksdóttir on an itinerary cruising to some of the most stunning ports between Rome and Copenhagen. This itinerary places a strong emphasis on the more off the beaten path ports located along the coast of Spain where the incredible variety of the landscapes will delight you. In addition, this cruise visits Portugal, the Channel Islands and Belgium. This itinerary offers something for ever taste and interest. On this cruise you will find everything from rich history, amazing dining, great shopping, invigorating water sports and exciting cultural performances to endless mountainous coastal scenery.
Stephen West grew up in the United States but now lives in the Netherlands. He is most known for his simple style, wonderful personality and fabulous designs. Stephen West began knitting in high school and quickly began designing to create patterns that suit his taste in style. Stephen West loves to share stories about the images, structures and objects that inspire him. In addition, Stephen is inspired by yarn, color and the act of knitting itself. Stephen admits he sometimes gets new design ideas from his own existing work or from some of his favorite designers such as Ysolda Teague, Jared Flood and Gudrun Johnston among others.
Ragga Eiriksdóttir is an instructor, designer and entrepreneur from Reykjavik, Iceland. Ragga left her nursing career to let her creative side take over and she now owns her own knitting business as a tour guide and international knitting instructor. In addition to the firm belief that knowledge liberates knitters by freeing themselves to think beyond patterns and charts Ragga also has a profound knowledge of Icelandic Wool and Traditional Lopi designs.
Stephen West and Ragga Eiriksdóttir have taught and traveled together before and compliment each other nicely. We invite you to join them on this knitting cruise for a wonderful and wacky vacation.
2013 Iberian Discovery Knitting Cruise Highlights
- Visit Europe's most western capital and Portugal's cultural hub, Lisbon. Here you will find interesting architecture, must-see museums, fantastic shopping opportunities in great little boutiques, fabulous dining at sidewalk cafes and yes, even a few yarn stores.
- Be inspired by the sights, sounds and colors of Spain's Costa Del Sol. Visit old castles, world-class museums and endless beaches along the coasts of Spain. You'll also enjoy passing through the Straight of Gibraltar and its famous rock coupled with numerous photo opportunities all along the way.
- The Island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands is famous for its knitting industry that began in the early 16th Century. The original hand-knitted Guernsey sweater was knit in one piece as a hard-wearing garment for seamen. Learn the three requirements and how to tell if a Guernsey is really a Guernsey.
- In St. Peter Port, Guernsey you will meet local designer, Janine Le Cras of Guernsey Gal Designs. Janine is an extremely creative lace designer who lets the textures and colors of living on an island in the middle of the English Channel inspire her work. After a walking tour and yarn shopping with Janine in St. Peter Port Janine Le Cras will come onboard and do a trunk show with some Gansey sweaters knit by her grandmother as well as her own beautiful lace designs.
- Go yarn shopping in Brussels where you can visit Vertias. Here you will learn the advantages of European style chain craft shops. Unlike smaller yarn stores throughout Europe where selection and inventory can be limited, craft chains, like the haberdashery departments in department stores, tend to have a nice selection of sensible merchandise offering good value for price. Here you will find a wide range of colorful yarns, accessories and equipment.
- Spend an extra day in Copenhagen and visit Sommerfuglen, the largest yarn store in the Denmark, where you will find an extensive selection of kits and samples by top Danish designers such as Marianne Isager, Vivian Hoxbro & Hanne Falkenberg.