21-Day ~ Antarctica & South America (Jan 2017)
Holland America Line
January 10, 2017
January 31, 2017
Antarctica & South America (Jan 2017) ~ Knitting Cruises Description
21-Day Antarctica & South America Knitting Adventure w/ Lucy Neatby
South America is one of the world's largest producers of natural fiber, including wool and alpaca, so knitting and yarn can be found everywhere. In Buenos Aires, for example, you'll find a yarn district with an overwhelming number of yarn shops in three short blocks. Here knitters will find floor-to-ceiling shelves stocked with everything from natural local yarns to some of the most unusual acrylic specialty yarns you'll ever see. Plan to arrive early to shop in the yarn district as well as in the neighboring leather, jewelry and specialty food districts. Buenos Aires is a beautiful city where visitors enjoy people watching, fresh baked pastries at outdoor cafes, some of the most succulent steaks in the world raised on the rich grasses of the Argentinian Pampas or simply sharing in the excitement of watching a street tango.
Few people get to experience Antarctica, which is one of the most exhilarating places on earth. This continent can be summed up in a single word, spectacular. On this trip you'll be visiting both the Patagonian region of South America and Antarctica where you'll find some of the most remote and scenically beautiful places on earth. You will be inspired by dramatic seascapes in one of the world's truly last wilderness frontiers known as "The White Continent." Here cruisers are exposed to rugged, natural beauty that blows Alaska out of the water. Sea life is everywhere and is visible from the ship as well as in the numerous wilderness areas home to some of the largest penguin rookeries in the world. There are just 17 penguin species worldwide with only four living and nesting in Antarctica, where you can get up close and very personal with wildlife and breathtaking mountain peaks that stretch on nearly forever.
South America is the fiber lover's dream destination! Here you'll find not only luxury fiber and color inspiration but you will find sizzling steaks, the finest wines, real cowboys and some of the most sensual dancing in the world. South America is home to yarn companies producing some very gorgeous yarns including Araucania, Abuelita, Manos, Malabrigo and Aslan Trends. Yarn is produced throughout South America and producers have found success through their color expertise while using traditional methods for dyeing. Yarn shopping and fiber activities abound on this itinerary including shopping with an English speaking guide in the Buenos Aires yarn district, touring the dye rooms at Malabrigo and shopping to your heart's content, visiting the Manos del Uruguay Lab followed by yarn shopping at their store in Montevideo, visiting a sheep farm in the Falkland Islands and a fiber co-operative in Puerto Montt where local weavers, spinners and dyers host our group with demonstrations and workshops. Come on this trip and you'll experience the best of Antarctica and South America in the company of knitters while learning new skills and being pampered onboard a luxury cruise ship.
Antarctica & South America Knitting Cruise Highlights
- Shop for yarn in the Buenos Aires yarn district where you'll be overwhelmed with block after block of yarn shops stocked with yarn from floor to ceiling
- Tour Malabrigo and see where this beautiful yarn is created and shop at factory prices
- Learn how women have banded together to translate their knitting and spinning skills into sustainable incomes at the Manos del Uruguay Lab in Montevideo
- Dine at one of Montevideo's most popular restaurants specializing in fusion cooking
- Shop for Malabrigo and Manos del Uruguay yarn at prices far below those found elsewhere
- Get up close and personal with a penguin
- Visit Lanas Chucao in Puerto Montt, Chile and learn about dyeing yarn using native plants and weaving using traditional Mapuche methods
- In Santiago, shop for gorgeous hand-dyed yarns in vibrant colors made by the popular Chilean yarn company, Araucania