Instructor Website: http://www.eideeckman.com
Currently, Edie keep a lot of plates spinning as a freelance designer. This gives her a lot of experience and insight into our corner of the yarn world, and plenty to share with her students. A list is a bit tedious to read, but it does give some idea of the scope of her work, as Edie:
- design for and write my own books, including pattern leaflets for Leisure Arts, Annie's Attic, ASN, etc.
- design for and write for magazines
- design for yarn companies
- write articles for magazines, including an ongoing column for Creative Knitting and one for Crochet!
- teach workshops to guilds, yarn shops
- teach at national events like Stitches, The Knit & Crochet Show, VK Live
- do technical editing for yarn companies and indie designers
- draw crochet symbol charts for myself and other clients
- teach online courses at Craftsy.com and Crochetville.org
As a teacher, Edie likes to give students the techniques and tools they need to be able to figure out things for themselves. Edie likes to encourage independent thinking and problem-solving while building confidence. This is not competitive stitching, and there are no grades in class. Edie is adept at teaching a number of skill levels in the same class and Edie tries to make sure everyone is supported while working just a tiny bit past their comfort zone, whatever that is. While Edie is pretty sure she has taught thousands of students, Edie only ever had one cry in class--and it turns out that she was going through a divorce and her dog had died that morning, and her car broke down on the way to class (just like a country song). My asking her to "ssk" was just the straw that broke the camel's back! So, Edie doesn't think that counts, do you?
But knitting and crochet is not the only thing Edie does! Edie likes to read and is a bit addicted to audio books, as they allow her to read and knit at the same time. Edie doesn't talk about knitting/crochet all the time; Edie loves to talk about lots of other things, especially when Edie is traveling and meeting people from all over. Everyone has such rich experiences to share, and Edie learns something from every single person she meets. Edie can't wait to sit down and chat over a drink and a ball of yarn.
BIO ~ Edie Eckman
Former careers include:
- Assistant branch manager of a major bank in a large metropolitan city
- Real estate paralegal
- Bookstore Employee
- Lactation consultant
- Business manager of a large private estate
Books ~ Edie Eckman
- Socks to Knit for Those You Love
- Fresh Vests to Knit
- The Crochet Answer Book
- Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs
- Around the Corner Crochet Borders
- Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs (October 2012)
- One Skein Crochet Wonders (co-editor, to be released in 2013)
- How to Knit Socks: Three Methods Made Easy
- Knit & Crochet Ponchos, Wraps, Capes & Shrugs (edited and contributed to)
- Learn to Knit Socks (an oldie but a goodie)
- Pampered Pooches (editor)
Edie has done MANY other pattern leaflets, and have designed for and contributed to more books than she can list here. Edie Eckman has also tech-edited a number of books not listed here.
Affiliations ~ Edie Eckman
TNNA, CGOA, TKGA
Education ~ Edie Eckman
- B.A. Vanderbilt University, major in economics
- Board-certified lactation consultant (IBCLC)