5-Night ~ Musk Ox Land Adventure (2017)
May 23, 2017
May 28, 2017
Musk Ox Land Adventure (2017) ~ Knitting Land Tours Description
2017 Musk Ox 5-Night Musk Ox Land Adventure
Musk Ox & Glaciers is one of our most popular Alaska knitting itineraries. Start your 5-night Alaska adventure in Fairbanks. This city is the heart of Alaska's gold rush history and is now the home of one of Alaska's most beloved producers of the warmest fiber on earth, Arctic Qiviut. Join other knitters and see why this trip attracts more repeaters than any other knitting trip we offer. Learn about how qiviut is harvested, processed and dyed as well as knit into heirloom lace garments that are now one of the most sought after souvenirs produced in this great state. In addition to focusing on yarn you'll also learn about this great animal that dates back to prehistoric times. Visit the Large Animal Research Station, Musk Ox Farm and the Oomingmak Shop in Anchorage. We have included the very best itinerary including the top places to learn about and shop for qiviut in Alaska. We've also tied in the top attraction so you can experience the best of Alaska on this amazing journey. Spot wildlife in Denali National Park, see the mountain formerly called Mt. McKinley, meet the most awarded dog sledder in the world while snuggling cute husky puppies at the Husky Homestead, take a domed rail journey through some of the most pristine land in the United States, all while making new friends, knitting and being pampered along the way.
Visit Denali, snuggle puppies, see baby muskox, learn about qiviut and shop for the best yarn Alaska has to offer. Then, for those wanting the best Alaska experience, combine all this with our 7-night Alaska knitting cruise sailing with Anne Berk, author of "Annetarsia Knits," who will be teaching a wide range of knitting classes for the knitting adventure of a lifetime.
2017 5-Night Musk Ox Land Adventure Highlights
- Two nights in Fairbanks with visits to Arctic Qiviut, the Large Animal Research Station and the Morris Thompson Cultural Center
- Take a deluxe dome rail journey from Fairbanks to the heart of Denali National Park
- Meet Iditarod champ Jeff King, snuggle husky puppies and learn all about the "last great race"
- Travel deep into Denali National Park on the Tundra Wilderness Tour where you will enjoy six million acres of pristine wilderness
- Spot grizzly bear, Dall sheep, moose, ptarmigan, arctic tern, red fox and maybe even an elusive gray wolf or lynx if you're really lucky
- Take an optional flightseeing, whitewater rafting, or guided hiking excursion
- Oserve Ice Age animals at close range and learn about their history and undercoat (qiviut)
- Shop for yarn at yarn shops along the way including the best shops in Anchorage
- Visit the Oomingmak Cooperative
- Learn all about the designs and patterns used by the Alaskan knitters of rural coastal villages to create beautiful one-of-a-kind garments out of luxurious qiviut
- Meet local Alaskan knitters
- Continue your journey by taking the optional 7-night Southbound cruise aboard the ms Noordam w/ knitting classes taught by Anne Berk